Friday 18 April 2008

Comment #4

This is a response to this blog entry: [http://stundreded.blogspot.com/2008/04/taking-your-own-life.html]

I found your entry about suicide really interesting. I too have developed something of a morbid curiosity as well, ever since I read "A Long Way Down" by Nick Hornby, which is about four people who all try to kill themselves on New Year's Eve by throwing themselves off a building, and how they all accidentally meet on the roof-top before the event. It's very interesting as it looks at the different reasons why they are all motivated to do such a drastic thing.

One view I had never thought of until I read the book is that suicide is in most religions seen as a 'sin', and as you said, only God has the power to take our lives, as he gave us them in the first place. As I'm not particularly religious I don't go along with that, but I can see why people suddenly 'find God' when they are at such a low point in their lives - it rationalises why they CANNOT take their own lives (when really they are just afraid to). I agree with you when you say that it takes a very brave person to end their own life.

This was a really good entry, I've very much enjoyed your blog, thank you!

No comments: