Thursday 17 April 2008

The Supernatural


I simply cannot watch programmes like 'Most Haunted'. There is no way they can be real, but I do try to have an open mind. It's just hard when men like Derek Acorah think that by putting on a funny voice they can convince you that they're someone else entirely - even weirder is that he uses the same dodgy voice for a 60-year old man or a 5-year old girl. Strange.

Spiritualism has been around forever. Famously, even Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was a bit of a fan. I'd say now more than ever spiritualism is more popular, but there are also even more skeptics. I am definitely a skeptic, and I stumbled across this fantastic website which looks at Bad Psychics, in particular the number of times Most Haunted has been proved to be faked.

Last night I was watching the Today Show, and James Randi was on. If you don't know about him, he's 79, and he's offering a million dollars to anyone who can prove to him to have supernatural powers. Naturally nobody high-profile is taking up the challenge, he just seems to get an influx of crazy people. I think this kind of proves the whole thing is fraudulent. I'm sure the supernaturalists would argue that they shouldn't HAVE to prove they can do it, we should just believe, but even so - what is there to be afraid of if you genuinely can talk to the dead?

I really hope James Randi gets to prove that mediums and parapsychologists are all fakers. The whole thing is ridiculous, and it's sad that these people play on the vulnerable public - particularly those grieving for somebody dear to them.

No comments: