Thursday 24 April 2008

Graffiti

Is graffiti art or crime? I think for me it depends where it is.

As I was walking through the underpass by the Molineux the other day I watched some cleaners remove all the graffiti from the walls. I thought in a way it was kind of sad, because some of that art took a lot of time and effort to create. However, you know by next week some of it will be back on the wall.

I know that more modern graffiti is associated with hip-hop culture, and a lot of it is undesirable when to councils and local residents as they believe it sends out the wrong message. However I think it can also be a positive thing, and I think it would be a good idea to have 'designated' graffiti areas. I think this would probably reduce the amount of graffiti elsewhere. It's like people who complain about skateboarders outside the town centre - if you don't provide a skate-park, where else are they going to go?

I don't think it's fair to completely restrict what is essentially an artistic activity - just give the people somewhere specific to do it in. Without it you get people like Banksy, who are going to do whatever it takes to protest against the government in this case.


2 comments:

Nusarat said...

I agree with you that people who spray graffiti should have designated place as this will reduce it elsewhere. They are people who are creative and want to show their talent and they have no where but public places to do it. Then this causes a lot of upset and damage so to prevent this I too believe that there should be a place for them to do it openly.

Emil said...

I agree that graffiti artists should have a designated place but realistically this isn't going to happen. Yes graffiti does cause alot of upset and damage but some graffiti artists are motivated by this. They're not all creative people who want to show their creative talent. Where i come from they're called troublemakers.