Saturday 12 April 2008

Medicinal Marijuana


So drugs are bad right? Most people seem to think so anyway. But what about for medicinal purposes?

I think this is a good subject for being bad as it is entirely personal. I would never do drugs, I think they're bad, but I have no problem with them being used for legitimately medicinal reasons.

Cannabis is a class C drug, which does make it illegal to possess. There's currently a large campaign to have it legalised, however. It can be extremely beneficial to sufferers of Multiple Sclerosis, as well as those on chemotherapy for cancer, and also AIDs sufferers (amongst a host of other possible things that might be wrong with you, but alas, not Female Hysteria). I know on a more personal level that it does help sufferers of MS, as I have an uncle who suffers very badly, and it has been proved scientifically to reduce muscle tremors. The drug also reduces the nausea associated with chemotherapy.

I believe that it should be legalised for medicinal purposes. Currently doctors are able to prescribe THC (the active ingredient in cannabis), on the NHS, but it is still not widely distributed. However I know it would be very difficult to do that without there being issues with people using it for non medicinal purposes. However, in the USA using cannabis is apparently more popular than using the internet (thank you, dubious internet fact). I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult to obtain illegally anyway.

I guess you have to weigh up the pros of the medicinal usage with the cons of the non-medicinal usage. This BBC website is quite useful as it looks at several aspects of the drug including its effect on the body.

No comments: