Sunday 13 April 2008

Plastic Surgery

I can totally understand some boob jobs.

If your chest is enormous then it's understandable a reduction is in order - large breasts can cause back injury, amongst other problems, and the process is even offered on the NHS but only for 'extreme cases'.

I can also understand breast enlargement in some cases. I was flat chested for many years of my life, and mistaken for a boy at least a dozen times in my puberty. Believe me, your boobs make a huge impact on your life, and the way you are treated. In two years I have gone from an A cup to a DD (no surgery, just one HELL of a late bloomer), and the impact on my life has been significant. For a start, boys smile at you one hell of a lot more.

What I don't understand is the kind of body modification that leads people to look like this:

For those of you who don't know your pop-culture, this is Lolo Ferrari, the woman billed as having 'the world's biggest breasts'. She had 22 breast enlargements, though there isn't an officially cup size recorded for her. I will never understand this cartoonish look that some women will go for. I know there are naturally curvy women, I just do not understand why it is necessary to make a caricature of yourself.

Today it costs anywhere from 2000 quid upwards to get a set of silicon implants. String implants are now banned in the US since 2001; these are implants which increase indefinitely by absorbing body fluid, till the implantee reaches phenomenal proportions.

I hope the women who do get breast surgery are very happy, but there is no need in my mind to look like a life size Barbie doll.

No comments: